Home > Welcome

History

RSS

       The History of Salem United Church of Christ

  • First church service was in 1842 as the Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Protestant Congregation
  • First official church board was organized on December 30th, 1842
  • Construction of the first church building started in the spring of 1844 - total cost was $99.95
  • Construction of the second church building started in 1859 at the corner of 4th and Walnut
  • Our denomination was called to join the Evangelical Synod of the West in 1860
  • On December 26th, 1889, it was decided that the church should be know as the German Evangelical Salem Church
  • Construction of the parish hall started in 1928
  • On August 9th, 1936, a new constitution was adopted to change the name of the church to Salem Evangelical and Reformed Church of Huntingburg. In 1957, our church became Salem United Church of Christ