Home > Welcome

History

RSS

       The History of Salem United Church of Christ

  • First church service was in 1842 as the Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Protestant Congregation
  • First official church board was organized on December 30th, 1842
  • Construction of the first church building started in the spring of 1844 - total cost was $99.95
  • Construction of the second church building started in 1859 at the corner of 4th and Walnut
  • Our denomination was called to join the Evangelical Synod of the West in 1860
  • On December 26th, 1889, it was decided that the church should be know as the German Evangelical Salem Church
  • Construction of the parish hall started in 1928
  • On August 9th, 1936, a new constitution was adopted to change the name of the church to Salem Evangelical and Reformed Church of Huntingburg. In 1957, our church became Salem United Church of Christ  


Welcome
Webpage icon Congratulations!
Webpage icon Welcome